Monday, May 12, 2008

Signs, Signs, everywhere signs

Almost a year ago we moved to a small community west of Houston. By small, I mean there is one stop light and the closest thing to a grocery store is the quick stop or Dollar General....thank God, the bigger town, Katy, is only 10 miles away. As many of you know Blayre and I live with my parents, they are the best for putting up with us. Anyway, it is a VERY nice community, gated, golf course, swimming pool, tennis courts, you name they probably have it but they claim to have lakes out here. I personally would consider them rivers because they are not very wide and not very deep, occasionally you will see someone with a paddle boat or kayak (is that how you spell it). Since we are so far out in the "country" we have seen, well at least heard about, some of the various wild animals out here including deer, raccoons, WILD BOARS (yes, Mandy Garvie), snakes and alligators. Mom and dad were walking one day and saw a snake in the road, thanks for the neighbors who killed and said it was a water moccasin....SCARY. Well, the other day we had new signs posted by the lake (river) that we live by...
Seriously, I wouldn't come close to one on purpose and I hope nobody else would either. I actually saw my first alligator last week, mom had taken the camera so I didn't get a picture. He was on the other side of the "lake" so I had plenty of distance. We don't live on the water but the people who do say they see them all the time. Hopefully, I'll get a pic sometime soon and not because one is in our yard. I'll prefer seeing them from a safe distance!
This is why I say they are rivers. Even Blayre calls them rivers, thank you Dora for teaching my daughter!

It really is beautiful out here. So nice and quiet, but it is becoming a hot place to live so there are houses going up like crazy. A year ago we were the only house on the back half of the section we live on, now there are 12 new houses and about 5 of them already have people living in them. Some are still being built so I am sure it won't be long before we have a full neighborhood.

5 comments:

Annie said...

Oooo...if I ever saw a snake I would freak out!!! I don't particulary want to see an alligator either! That would be nice if some of your new neighbors had kids Blayre's age!

Mandy said...

I would rather see a snake than an alligator anyday. The thought of sneeking up on an alligator way freaks me out more than finding a snake!! And do you just let the kids play outside with alligators around everywhere? I am sorry but I am really wierded out by the idea!! By the way, when is Shyla going to start a blog!

Becky said...

Okay, I thought we had wild life in town here, just the usual turkeys, deer, skunks, armadillos, etc. But I would definitely draw the line at alligators. We are a smörgåsbord to them! I would never let Blayre outside without me and I might never go outside at all!

The Sunderland's said...

Yikes...that is scary!!! I have heard about alligators being down there but I was just hoping it was a lot of talk. We did have a snake in the backyard recently and that was enough for me.

Anonymous said...

Those are rivers!